This role is designed to deliver the Warm Wales funded ‘Healthy Homes, Healthy People’ programme in Cornwall. This programme is supported by Cornwall Council, Warm Wales and the mains gas network provider Wales & West Utilities; the purpose of the programme is to identify, engage and assist households who have difficulty keeping their homes warm, dry and safe. The project will see outreach across the whole of Cornwall but will be targeted to specific areas and communities.
The role requires an energetic and self-motivated individual, able to be responsible for delivering this community focused project across Cornwall. The role involves working in selected neighbourhoods to identify and help vulnerable fuel poor households, particularly those living in low quality housing with insufficient or inadequate heating and experiencing fuel poverty.
The Healthy Homes, Healthy People programme addresses four key priorities when engaging these households:
- Home and personal safety
- Income maximisation
- Affordable warmth
- Health and wellbeing
The purpose of the engagement is to identify areas of need for the householder and to provide signposting, advice and guidance to assist these households improve their situation.
Key responsibilities and deliverables:
Work with the Senior Project Manager to develop a plan that identifies appropriate communities for delivery of the Healthy Homes, Healthy People project.
Coordinate the initial outreach and contact with households using a street by street approach; this outreach will be linked to wider programmes being delivered by Community Energy Plus and Cornwall Council and will focus on areas where it is possible for residents to connect to mains gas in order reduce their heating costs.
Carry out house to house contact; this may use door-step contact or by phone. If face-to-face, appropriate social distancing methodologies will be used to ensure the safety of both the Project Worker and the resident(s).
Follow up support for households where energy related issues have been identified. This will be done remotely and will include:
- Making referrals to other CEP colleagues and projects
- Making referrals to partner agencies including Cornwall Council, Cornwall Fire & Rescue Service, Cornwall Befriending CIC, Citizens Advice Cornwall, Inclusion Cornwall and South West Water.
- Arrange publicity, activities and events aimed at advertising and implementing the ‘Healthy Homes, Healthy People project.
Deliver basic energy advice directly to fuel poor households. To include:
- identifying where energy efficiency and insulation measures are required
- assessing the adequacy of existing heating systems, which may include consideration of connection to the gas network if appropriate and accessible
- making tariff comparisons
- providing advice about smart meters
- addressing fuel debt
- making referrals for fire safety checks
Following up actions for individual households to ensure that action is taken is a key part of this project. Accordingly accurate record keeping and updating these records is an important element of the project delivery. Regular maintenance of records on the Healthy Homes, Healthy People client management system is essential.
Work with the Senior Project Manager to ensure monthly monitoring of outcomes is appropriately reported to the funder.