As the Marketing Manager for the Headland Hotel your opportunity radar will be permanently active, you will be someone who looks inside the box, outside the box and underneath the box for ways to promote this iconic destination.
You will know how to keep us in the forefront of people’s minds at every turn, whilst keeping the marketing plan in the headlights of the whole team at The Headland.
You will need to be an attention to detail fanatic, expert at analysing data and providing recommendations. You are a doer, who holds their ability to complete and finish tasks/projects as a particular skill. You are ahead of the game not watching it pass by. You will love angles, threads, tit bits, news and be thinking constantly in the future not the past. Accurate, literate, imaginative, a copy writer; if this is you we would like to hear from you.
As The Headland’s Marketing Manager, you will be responsible for telling the world (and our team) the story of our iconic hotel. You will be expected to be our chief advocate for the “five star Cornwall – not formal. It’s the Headland tradition” message. Additionally, you will be charged with crafting the strategy around the messaging and marketing for new initiatives designed to grow our profits.
Success measure: The Headland will never fail to communicate outside of the agreed brand standards and focus.
Area of Responsibility
Strategy: Research and analyse market trends, demographics, pricing schedules, competitor products and other relevant information to form innovative marketing strategies for the whole operation, that are presented to the Senior Management Team. The strategies must sit within and support The Headland’s overarching vision whilst remaining within the budgetary constraints. Ensuring the marketing strategies are communicated to, and understood by, the Heads of Departments. Contribute to The Headland’s overarching strategy for growth towards the operation becoming known as being the pinnacle of ‘relaxed seaside luxury'.
- Success measures: The staff team is fully aware of the marketing strategy, how they play their part to achieve it and how this contributes to the success of The Headland.
Operations Management: Put in place the systems and procedures required for the smooth day-to-day digital and print marketing strategies, which are both efficient and effective. Ensuring the Digital Marketing Assistant is fully trained and able to adhere to the five-star standards set.
- Success measures: Systems are understood by all relevant people. They are consistently reviewed and confirmed as fit for purpose and are changed quickly when weaknesses come to light.
Financial: Understanding the revenue drivers across the departments, then setting and delivering marketing strategies that enhance the profitability of the operation.
- Success measures: The Headland consistently generates additional revenues across the operation due to innovative strategies. Accurate and detailed reports are submitted regularly to the General Manager regarding success of campaigns.
Guest Care: Ensure an exemplary service is delivered without fail to an AA 5-star standard/applicable AA rosette standard across all marketing collateral. Ensuring the marketing team delivers expectations at this level in the completion and delivery of all marketing functions.
- Success measures: The Headland will never fail to meet guests’ expectations of its 5-star standards.
Managing our People: Recruiting the right number of the right people into The Headland at the right time, in the right way, and cost effectively. Ensuring the entire marketing team is focused and delivering on the required KPIs.
- Success measures: An innovative, competent and willing team will always be in situ. The Headland will become a sought-after place to work.
Learning & Development: Develop a culture across your department where people are keen to learn about how to maximise their departmental and whole operation wide revenue and are not afraid of learning from small failures. A place where ideas are welcomed and encouraged.
- Success measures: All team members feel encouraged to grow and progress in their abilities to maximise the revenue and output of their department and feel confident putting forward suggestions for new ways of working that will benefit the whole operation.
Health, Safety & Compliance: Make sure all things related to your area of work are done properly and in accordance with all laws and applicable codes, including Health & Safety legislation.
- Success measures: No penalties are incurred for non-compliance.
Key tasks within each area of responsibility
N.B. These are not intended to be exhaustive
- Create an innovative 12-month marketing planner, that is always up to date and available on demand.
- Anticipate the need for, and utilise, promotions during “low demand” periods, and design creative promotions that help drive revenue into areas of the operation that need assistance.
- Provide monthly reporting on historical activity, as well as future data to be used for strategic decisions.
- In conjunction with the Digital Marketing Assistant deliver relevant and focused reports relating to the sales funnel process, including but not limited to conversion, guest satisfaction and recommendations.
- With the Senior Management Team/external PR company, supporting the Digital Marketing Assistant in creating and implementing the social media strategy and content plans and ensuring that they are followed at all times
- Chair weekly marketing meetings with the General Manager and Digital Marketing Assistant, ensuring minutes with action plans are taken and distributed.
- Continuous open communication with Revenue Manager and Operations departments.
- Conduct regular meetings with Operations Manager, and General Manager/Directors when requested, and submit minutes following meetings.
- Assisting our external copy writer with copy for marketing collateral, including brochures, letters, emails and websites
- Ensure that all marketing collateral, both offline and digital is 100% perfect in terms of spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Actively seeking out and researching quirky and intriguing stories from within our umbrella brand and sub brand identities
- Liaise with external website company to make sure AdWords campaigns are running in line with hotel campaign and making sure that websites are performing for SEO.
- Support the Digital Marketing Assistant in driving consistent, relevant traffic and leads from our social network presence.
- With the email newsletter database, work to minimize list decay and unsubscribes, while increasing the productivity of our email sends.
- Ensure the right artwork and/or images are used for advertising and email newsletters
- Write press releases in conjunction with external PR company, and being proactive in networking in media community to create awareness of press releases
- Liaise with designers and printers in event of print material being required.
- Working with the Digital Marketing Assistant, to create newsletters to drive brand following and online sales
- Complete detailed analysis of marketing campaigns to ensure targets are met.
- Ensuring all our company copy and images are consistent with the overall branding in all mediums.
- To maintain and enhance the reputation the hotels have, both in an online and offline capacity.
- Support the Digital Marketing Assistant in seeking out opportunities to enhance guest stays using social media.
- All other reasonable business duties as required.
- Zero spelling, punctuation or grammar errors in any marketing collateral.
- Successful marketing of promotions to target audiences, in line with KPIs
- Successful creation and implementation of ongoing recruitment campaign for new staff.
- All marketing team members have a comprehensive understanding of the marketing strategies and marketing planner.
- Online booking engine and third-party internet sites are adherent to our brand standards
- Guest satisfaction scores in relation to the marketing function.
- Support and co-operate with all parts of the business.
- Behave as a marketing ambassador for the business always.
- Act as a clear communicator, cascading information to all team members in regard to the marketing strategies within the whole operation.
- Putting in place and maintaining systems and procedures required for the smooth day-to-day running of the marketing operations, which are both efficient and effective.
- Accurately forecast the hotel’s future periods of low demand, and create successful promotions to drive increased profitability in these periods
- Forecast demand/understand demand time periods.
- Work with the Revenue Manager to develop and implement effective leisure & corporate promotions and selling strategies.
- Facilitate communication among all marketing team members and Heads of Departments to ensure all perspectives are considered and strategies understood.
- Contribute to and support all strategic business planning and related hotel concerns.
- Optimize and expand media partnerships when required
- Contribute to setting yearly marketing budgets in advance, in collaboration with the General Manager
- Monitor the financial performance for your departments and take timely action regarding variances.
- Ensure an exemplary service is delivered without fail to a 5-star standard across our online and offline marketing communications.
- Work with the Operations Manager regarding online channel guest feedback in all its forms and act on it; deal effectively with guest queries and complaints in a timely manner.
- Encourage and deliver genuine care and attention to our internal and external guests.
Managing our People:
- Ensure the human resources processes (including recruitment, induction, training, capability, discipline, grievance, and appraisal processes) are operated effectively and efficiently within your department to ensure the The Headland is increasingly staffed by the best people for the job.
- Ensure that the most suitably qualified person is appointed in the event of a vacancy, wherever possible this should be an internal promotion.
- Ensure staff comply with dress and grooming standards, address issues promptly.
- Encourage our values to be first and foremost in the operating and contribution standards of your team.
- Actively manage performance in your team using a wide range of tools including, where appropriate, the disciplinary and capability procedures.
- Define roles & responsibilities within your departments and ensure that they are widely understood.
- Ensure that new and existing team members are fully aware, reminded where necessary of our core values.
- Implement a professional plan for communications to include team meetings, formal and informal staff feedback. Ensure that appropriate records are kept and that celebrating success and giving constructive feedback, when required, is considered to be a natural process and at the heart of our culture.
- Oversee the accurate and competent completion of rotas & time records for all Heads of Department at The Headland, utilising the Employee Management Software.
- Keep the HR team informed of employee matters arising relating to any team members at The Headland
Health, Safety & Compliance
- Actively care about the well-being of fellow colleagues and guests.
- Keep up to date with the regulatory environment in your area of The Headland.
- Ensure the sensitive personal data involved in the management of your guest reservations and bookings is kept secure and processed in line with the Company’s General Data Protection Regulations.
- To ensure that all team members are aware of their responsibility under the Health and Safety at Work Act and as a result, health & safety procedures are fully met on site, including participation in twice yearly refresher training.
Learning & Development
- Develop a culture where people are not afraid of learning from small failures and are happy to contribute their ideas.
- Ensure that all systems, processes and procedures (new & existing) function 100%.
- Ensure regular reviews are held and personal development plans are being executed.
- Motivate, inspire, coach and support staff to improve and develop to their full potential.
- Implement a professional plan for communications to include team meetings, formal and informal staff feedback. Ensure that appropriate records are kept and that celebrating success and giving constructive feedback, when required, is a natural process and at the heart of our culture.
- Maintain up to date manuals of standard operating procedures and ensure that they are actively in place and used. This includes regular on the job training takes place to ensure standards are maintained and improved.
- Ensure your direct reports and their teams are knowledgeable, skilled and confident through effective methods of Learning & Development (and utilising Trevor the Trainer).
- Only members of the Executive Committee may employ or dismiss staff who directly report to you.
- Pay increases (up to supervisory level) must be agreed in conjunction with the pay & renumeration panel.
- Keeping the GM & Directors Informed
- You have a duty to keep the General Manager and Directors informed of significant developments both good and bad as they occur.
At The Headland, all job holders are expected to deliver a level of flexibility in their roles. It is to be expected that this job description and the responsibilities outlined within it, will be subject to periodic change in the light of changing operations and environmental requirements. Such changes will be discussed with the job holder and the job description amended accordingly. You will be expected to carry out any reasonable requests.