PURPOSE OF JOB
The Head of Project Delivery will provide overall direction and leadership to Surfers Against Sewage’s Project Team to ensure that our campaigns, education, volunteering and community engagement work is delivered to the highest standards and as efficiently and effectively as possible. The Head of Project Delivery will be a member of SAS’s Senior Management Team and will contribute significantly to the strategic, managerial and operational development of the organisation.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITY & RESPONSIBILITIES
We’re looking for a highly strategic thinker who will contribute significantly to the overall strategic development and direction of the organisation and assist with the development of annual operational and financial plans.
The Head of Project Delivery will work closely with all SAS staff and Trustees to ensure good communication, coordination and integration of SAS’s activities, including an active role in Board meetings, Senior Management Team meetings, staff meetings and leading Project Team meetings.
Team Resourcing and Management
- Exceptional organisational and people-management skills. He / She will constantly develop and improve the structure and processes of the projects delivery team and embed first rate systems across the organisation. Improved end-to-end project management methodologies will be introduced throughout the organisation.
- Effectively lead and manage the following direct reports: Head of Community & Engagement, Science & Policy Manager and Campaign Manager. The Projects Team currently comprises 7 members of staff. The Head of Project Delivery will undertake regular supervision meetings and appraisals and will ensure staff members continue to develop in their role and have an appropriate level of support.
- Ensure collaborative working with other SAS teams (Fundraising and Finance).
- Oversee the management and welfare of any trainees and volunteers on SAS projects.
- Oversee the team’s facilities.
- Direct the delivery of an annual programme of UK-wide community project work, campaigns and education work and will ensure that the work is in line with SAS’s strategy, policy and best practice guidance.
- Ensure that all projects have practical, suitable and feasible project plans with outputs, outcomes, objectives, timetables, resourcing and budgets carefully and effectively managed.
- Strong commercial acumen with significant focus on working with the Chief Executive, Head of Fundraising and Finance Manager to grow financial support for the organisation, ensuring the submission of successful funding proposals and the provision of high quality, accurate and timely reports to funders.
- Strong grasp of monitoring & evaluation frameworks and principles, as well as impact reporting.
- Strong communicator, both internally and externally, and will be expected to effectively represent and advocate for the organisation to external stakeholders. He / She will ensure excellent communication of SAS activities through our networks, writing editorial pieces and speaking at relevant conferences and seminars.
The Head of Project Delivery will have strong financial management skills, lead in the development of the annual budget for the Projects Team, together with the Finance Manager, and monitor the spending of this budget.
Ensure that a good value-for-money approach is taken when designing and implementing projects.
Health & Safety
The Head of Project Delivery will direct health & safety on all SAS projects. He / She will be a member of the Health & Safety Committee taking responsibility for development of and compliance across all areas of Projects Team delivery including SAS’s Safeguarding Children & Volunteer Policy.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
The Head of Project Delivery will ensure that all personal data processed to deliver Projects is done in accordance with the upcoming GDPR legislation.
This Job Description is not exhaustive and is liable to review following discussions with the post holder. The post holder will be expected to undertake any other reasonable duties as requested by his / her manager.