Surfers Against Sewage (SAS) is a national marine conservation and campaigning charity that inspires, unites and empowers communities to take action to protect oceans, beaches, waves and wildlife.
It's a really exciting time at the charity with huge interest in our work and amazing engagement with communities, this year alone we've already worked with 50,000 incredible volunteers around the UK, won the Charity Awards for our ground breaking Plastic Free Communities project and successfully campaigned for the Houses of Parliament to eliminate single use plastic.
We're looking for a Finance Manager who will provide commercial and financial management for the charity. As a member of the Senior Management Team you'll have input into the strategic direction of the charity and have regular input at SMT and Board meetings.
Based – Wheal Kitty Workshops, St Agnes, Cornwall, TR5 0RD (We have a great view of the sea!)
- Lead and oversee all aspects of the finance function
- Maintain & develop the financial control environment, robust financial accounting, cashflow management, incisive management information, clear and concise reporting to the Board of Trustees.
- Oversee the efficient processing of all income and expenditure for the organisation, as well as the day to day running of the accounting system, SAGE; bank reconciliations, balance sheet reconciliations, sales ledger, credit control, purchase ledger.
- Oversee the processing of payroll and pensions.
- Manage the financial aspects of trading within SAS, including; reporting, stock takes, direct tax management and VAT returns.
- Manage relationships with auditors, IT specialists, banks and other external organisations.
- Organisational & Project budgets
- Work with the CEO, Director of Fundraising & Operations and Director of Projects to produce an annual organisational budget
- Provide support for project bids and reporting and the development of other commercial opportunities to ensure that bids / opportunities are optimised for the Charity
- Provide input & support for project delivery & fundraising teams in the management of individual budgets
- Ensure SAS complies with the requirements of relevant legislation
- Ensure compliance with the requirements of the GDPR.
- Ensure compliance with the requirements of the Charity Commission and Companies House
- Perform the duties of Company Secretary
- Degree level education, a qualified member of an accountancy body
- Good analytical / problem solving skills and a creative innovator
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills with the ability to quickly distil complexity into pertinent, concise and understandable messages to a variety of audiences
- The courage to make tough and unpopular decisions
- The strength to hold your nerve when under pressure and have resilience when things do not go to plan
- High standards of integrity and personal ethics