Reporting to the Leisure and Amenities Manager - To be the day to day operational lead on Penzance Council’s management and maintenance of buildings and facilities. Managing a small team of in-house staff to carry out repairs and maintenance as well as carrying out contractor meetings and supervising contractor’s working on behalf of the Council. Working closely with the Leisure and Amenities Manager to ensure that appropriate maintenance and improvement programmes are implemented across all sites to ensure efficient / cost effective management of its facilities.
The below is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities, however it is designed to provide some examples of how the role is designed to operate.
- Assisting the Leisure and Amenities Manager in the management and motivation of Leisure and Amenities staff so they are adequately briefed to enable them to undertake work in a correct, safe and timely manner, including: work rota setting to ensure staffing complement, unsociable hours working and on-call service are maintained, and identifying training and development requirements to continuously improve staff technical skills.
- To be responsible for the fitness for purpose of the Council’s forward maintenance programme for properties and facilities, the associated workforce and the effective, efficient and economic supervision/delivery of programme. Broadly this is to include measures to ensure the safety of Council property and practices (in terms of maintenance, repair and construction) for users of and visitors to Council property.
- Overseeing the work of contractors, ensuring work is carried out to specification, within budget, in a correct, safe and timely manner and a high standard. Ensure that risk assessments and method statements are submitted or drafted to support works. Completion of contract monitoring documentation.
- Facility inspections. Inspections of, property and facilities owned and managed by Penzance Council. Investigation of fault and failure reports.
- Problem solving and providing solution to maintenance and repair issues reported to the Council in conjunction with the Leisure and Amenities Team.
- To comply with statutory, sector and organisational requirements and best practice
- To lead on the development / refinement and implementation of maintenance and improvement programmes.
Have a good working knowledge of a variety of areas of facilities and amenity management, in order to:
- Ensure compliance and log keeping in terms of the safety of Council facilities, buildings and services.
- Identify solutions and specifications and the obtaining of comparable quotations for programmes of works and one-off projects.
- Carry out any work on or around public areas.
- Oversee Council operatives or contractors undertaking works on or around facilities and buildings
- Be on alarm call-out lists and to attend as required and maintain the on-call rota for staff on behalf of the Leisure and Amenities Manager. To liaise with the police on buildings and facilities policing and security issues.
- Be the Council’s substitute representative liaison with Cornwall Council in respect of matters of enviro-crime.
- Responsible for the identification, recording and reporting of all maintenance items including repairs and improvement programmes to the Leisure and Amenities Manager on a regular basis.
- Assisting the Leisure and Amenities Manager in the setting of appropriate budgets for all leisure and amenities facilities, to ensure the cost-effective delivery of services within allocated budgets, and to ensure that budgets are adhered to with regular reporting on financial performance.
- Supervising the safe operation, repair, renovation and cleansing of the Council’s public toilets, ensuring these are open to the public in accordance with approved policy and that they are kept clean and well maintained.
- Managing and supervising the Parish-wide weed treatment programme.
- Assisting the Leisure and Amenities Manager as required in matters relating to the Council’s car parks and their efficient operation.
- Directly line-managing the Environmental Enforcement Team and Maintenance Operatives and ensure that work schedules are in place for all works undertaken on the Council’s buildings and facilities.
- Supervising the provision and adequate maintenance of litter bins, seats, noticeboards and other street furniture that is in the ownership of Penzance Council.
- The delivery of contracts, including acting as Clerk of Works.
- Supporting the Leisure and Amenities Manager in seeking extra grant funding for leisure and amenities programmes and projects, including assisting in the applications process as appropriate.
- Assisting the Leisure and Amenities Manager as required in monitoring facilities, plant, vehicles and equipment, whether owned or leased, to ensure safe working practices within health and safety regulations, and to the correct reporting / maintenance system.
- To understand and enforce adherence of the relevant health and safety regulations and their applications including:
- promoting safe working practices at all time
- ensuring safe and secure storage of materials and equipment
- carrying out operational risk assessments
- Adhering at all times to the policies and instructions of the Council.
- Being one of the substitute lead officers for the Leisure and Amenities Committee and to attend such other meetings and civic events of the Council as required.
The above list is an example of the duties; there will be other duties that might reasonably be required.