Energy Wise aims to help vulnerable households escape from the misery, anxiety and ill-health caused by fuel poverty. Through the provision of specialist advice and support to householders to reduce their energy costs and maintain healthy indoor temperatures and humidity levels, over the next three years it will help 4,000 households stay warm in the winter, prevent damp and mould and avoid summer overheating.
We're particularly interested in applications from individuals with experience of working or volunteering within a customer care focused organisation. Experience of income maximisation and undertaking benefits checks would be beneficial.
The purpose of the post is:
- To deliver case work for the Big Lottery funded Energy Wise project, applying our HAHA methodology (in-Home Advice, Handholding and Advocacy).
- To deliver effective advice on energy efficiency, renewable energy, collective energy buying and tariff switching to help householders manage their energy bills better and achieve warmer healthier homes.
- The post-holder must hold a City & Guilds 6281 Level 3 certification in Energy Awareness. Appropriate training will be given if this qualification is not held prior to appointment.
Responsibilities: Energy Wise
- Provide advice to householders on domestic energy efficiency, damp, mould and temperature management via the Community Energy Plus helpline, events, talks to user groups, email and post.
- Carry out in-home energy assessments.
- Provide in-depth support, handholding and advocacy to vulnerable households. This includes helping customers to apply for financial assistance (e.g. heating and insulation grants, Warm Home Discount scheme, fuel debt clearance), advocacy support for householders facing complex energy issues, and coaching clients on how to manage their heating system, take meter readings, switch energy supplier and control energy bills.
- Produce personalised action plans for clients and follow-up to ensure actions are understood and taken. Active case management, potentially over several months, will be required. Further follow up will also collect output data for reporting and evaluation.
- Contribute information for project newsletters and communications, including social media.
- Provide information for project reports; liaise with external project evaluator.
Responsibilities: Community Energy Plus Energy Advisor
- Provide information and, where appropriate, make referrals on behalf of customers to grants, subsidies and other sources of funding for the installation of energy saving measures.
- Ensure that information and data entered into Community Energy Plus’ customer relationship database is accurate and efficiently maintained.
- Handle and respond to customer enquiries through telephone calls, written correspondence and face-to-face communications.
- Maintain an up to date working knowledge of fuel poverty, energy efficiency and sustainable energy matters and keep relevant information, literature and documentation available for review.
- Ensure that knowledge of the details of grant bodies, other funding sources and organisations providing complementary services is up to date and locally relevant.
- Attend and contribute to events, displays and presentations.
- All members of the Community Energy Plus team have a responsibility to ensure they work in a manner that conforms to the best standards of practice regarding Quality, Environmental and Health & Safety management; members of staff are expected to behave with each other at all times in a manner that is courteous and respectful.
- Provide assistance other members of the Community Energy Plus team at the discretion of the senior management and adapt working practices in order to meet future organisational changes.
- Undertake other duties appropriate to the post as required and as may be reasonably requested.