The business manager is a unique and exciting role, responsible for the successful management of the commercial aspects of the business. Specifically, finance, marketing, HR and customer experience. The post-holder will provide leadership, vision and motivation to the railway’s staff (volunteer and paid) in compliance with safety, environmental, health, financial and employment regulations and standards.
Working with the management team, the business manager will establish and maintain an environment that provides a quality experience for visitors to the railway and volunteer staff. Bodmin Railway is a fast-paced, dynamic workplace. No two days are ever the same! You will work closely with our small team of around 10 paid staff, and around 80 volunteers.
Your day may include anything from greeting customers for one of our ‘steam and cream’ cream tea trains, attending a meeting within the local business community, visiting our café at Bodmin Parkway mainline station, working with the board of directors to produce next year’s business plan, putting up Christmas decorations for our Santa by Steam trains or promoting some of our new visitor experiences!
- Develop and expand the company business in line with financial goals. Including preparation of short, medium and long term business plans in conjunction with the company board.
- Financial management of the company including the preparation of accounts, cash flows and forecasts to manage income and expenditure
- Take responsibility for all human resourcing for paid and voluntary staff to ensure there is adequate cover, pay and benefits.
- Responsibility for the creation of the annual marketing plan, advertising material, promotions, the company website and social media in cooperation with the board.
- Secure new sources of grant funding to supplement the fare box income that the organisation has traditionally relied upon.
- Create, plan, organise and lead the commercial aspects of events and themed days
- Take responsibility for ticket sales, reservations and passenger control arrangements including overseeing the management of complaints and intervene as required.
- Ensure the quality, legal compliance and commercial success of the catering and shopping facilities
- Lead, manage and motivate the administration team (paid and volunteer).
- Develop good relationships with stakeholders, including the local authority, tourism support groups, chambers of commerce, rail companies and others to promote and develop the business of the railway.
- Attend company board and Bodmin Railway Preservation Society (BRPS) meetings and provide regular activity reports for the BRPS magazine for working staff and volunteers in order to develop and foster a sense of ownership.
- Responsible for security of all company assets unless otherwise delegated by the board.
- To act as Responsible Officer at Bodmin General as a part of a duty roster
Our ideal candidate would have:
- A ‘hands-on’ management style. Proven experience in a business setting showing flair and vision for development
- Degree level education or equivalent qualification
- Sound knowledge of general health and safety, environmental and hygiene legislation.
- Proven business management experience.
- A sound knowledge of employment law and practice.
- Proficiency in IT including social media.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal, written and presentational. Excellent positive “people handling” ability with leadership and organisational skills.
- Experience in applying for and successfully obtaining grant funding.
- Project management and coordination skills.
- Experience of managing volunteers.